• Meaning: Right of the employee to hold a permanent post.
• Employee will hold the lien while-
1. Performing the duties of that post,
2. On leave,
3. On joining time,
4. Under suspension and
5. On deputation to Foreign Service.
• At a time employee can hold the lien on one post only.
• In case of surrender of posts, junior most should be reverted to lower grade because he/she will not have a post to hold lien.
• In case the employee is joins other department by applying through proper channel, lien will be retained in parent department for 2 years.
• Lien in the parent organization stand terminated soon after the employee acquires lien on a post in the new organization.
• Lien in parent organization is terminated on joining new organization on immediate absorption basis.
• Lien of the employee can be transferred from one permanent post to another permanent post.