100 Days Action Plan – Ministry of Railways
· Approved by Minister of Railways Shri Piyush Goyal in June, 2019
· Total 11 items
1. Wi-Fi facility to all Railway Stations
(exclude Halt stations)
Balance – Execute through
private or govt agencies
2. Passenger subsidy – Reduction
A. “Give it up” – forego the subsidy voluntarily by the passengers. 2 options. i) Purchase ticket without subsidy ii) Purchase ticket with subsidy
B. At present, IR Recovers only 53% of the cost incurred from passenger transport. That means, Passenger pays only 53 paisa only out of one rupee spends by Railways. (Loss – 47 paisa)
C. The above loss i.e., 47 paisa will be reduced using subsidy to be received under “Give it up” scheme.
3. Elimination of all Manual Level Crossings on Golden quadrilateral and Diagonals of IR – By
Construction ROB - Road Over Bridge/RUB- Road Under Bridge
A. 100 % funding – Rs. 50,000 Crores from Govt of India ( No need of funding by State Govts) –
B. Sanction in single stage at the Central Govt level treated as National projects
C. Deadline by year 2023
D. RUB with water drainage system will be preferred (than ROB) – Because it is shorter in route, lower investments, faster execution
E. In parallel, Railways work on plan to eliminate Level Crossings at other heavy traffic sections also.
4. Speed raising to 160 kmph – New Delhi – Howrah and New Delhi – Mumbai routes – 4 years period – Fixed time, Fixed cost EPC (Engineering Procurement Construction) – to avoid cost over runs and time over runs – Occupies 30 % of Passenger traffic and 20% of freight traffic
A. New Delhi – Howrah route
i) 1525 Kms
ii) Cost - Rs.6684 Crores
iii) Journey time reduced from 17 hours to 12 hours
B. New Delhi – Mumbai route
i) 1483 Kms
ii) Cost - Rs.6806 Crores
iii) Journey time reduced from 15.5 hours to 10 hours
5. Private Passenger Trains: Salient features
A. Offer 2 trains to IRCTC - Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation
B. Custody of rakes - to IRCTC . In turn it pay annual lease charges to IRFC ( real owner of rakes)
C. EOI - Expression Of Interest to identify private operators and finalyse RFQ - Request For Quotation / RFP- Request For Proposal documents To initiate bidding for private operators to bid for operating of passenger trains day/overnight connecting important cities.
6. Corporatization of Production Units (PUs) of Rolling Stock - Salient features
A. Total 7 PUs on IR. They are i) CLW- Chittaranjan Locomotive Works ii) ICF - Integral Coach Factory, Chennai iii) DLW - Diesel Locomotive Works, Varanasi iv) DMW - Diesel Modernization Works, Patiala v) RWF - Rail Wheel Factory, Bangalore vi) RCF - Rail Coach Factory, Kapurthala and vii) MCF- Modern Coach Factory, Rae Bareli
B. All the above PUs are hive off /transfer to newly setup Govt owned entity "Indian Railway Rolling Stock Company - IRRSC " which is headed by CMD - Chairman & Managing Director.
C. Each PU will be headed by CEO - Chief Executive Officer . Each PU will function as an Individual Profit Centre and reporting to the new entity i.e., IRRSC
D. Objects are i) State of Art Technology ii) promote exports iii) Superior operational efficiency.
E. Starting with MCF, Rae Bareli, subsequently all other PUs are taken over by IRRSC in phased manner.
7. Digitalization of Indian Railways Network - Salient features
A. Provision of 10 MHz spectrum in 700 MHz Frequency band to Railways freely (without cost)
B. For safety, Security and Passenger services
C. TRAI is examining the proposal and approval is pending from Ministry of Communications.
8. Advanced Signaling system
A. Help in increasing line capacity on the IR network by 48 % on absolute block system.
B. Improving punctuality and enhancing safety
9. Station Redevelopment: Process to be initiate the redevelopment of 50 Railway Stations - IRSDC - Indian Railway Station Development Corporation
10. Restructuring of Indian Railways
A. Prepare blue print for restructuring in Indian Railways at all levels including Railway Board.
B. Rightsizing the Ministry of Railways
C. Selection of Board members, GMs and DRMs - based on strong delivery performance and leadership qualities.
11. Technological revamp of Indian Railways
A. Paperless Railways - Implementation of E-office all over Railways in next two years.
B. Re-organize CRIS - Centre for Railway Information Systems
C. Upgrading PRS - Passenger Reservation System to next-gen software.
1. ROB - Road Over Bridge
2. RUB- Road Under Bridge
3. LHS - Limited Height Subway
4. LC - Level Crossing
5. EPC - Engineering Procurement Construction
6. IRCTC - Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation
7. EOI - Expression Of Interest
8. RFQ - Request For Quotation
9. RFP- Request For Proposal
10. PU - Production Unit
11. CLW- Chittaranjan Locomotive Works
12. ICF - Integral Coach Factory
13. DLW - Diesel Locomotive Works
14. DMW - Diesel Modernization Works
15. RWF - Rail Wheel Factory
16. RCF - Rail Coach Factory
17. MCF- Modern Coach Factory
18. IRRSC - Indian Railway Rolling Stock Company
19. CMD - Chairman & Managing Director
20. CEO - Chief Executive Officer
21. IRSDC - Indian Railway Station Development Corporation
22. CRIS - Centre for Railway Information Systems
23. PRS - Passenger Reservation System