· A Navaratna CPSE under the Ministry of Railways (granted the status in the last year 2014-15). It is the first Navaratna CPSE (Central Public Sector Enterprise )of Indian Railways.
· Incorporated in the year 1988 and commenced operations in the year 1989.
· Headquarters is at New Delhi.
· Present Chairman & Managing Director : V Kalyana Rama, IRTS 1987 batch officer
· Started with the existing 7 ICDs (Inland Container Depot) taking over from Indian Railways in the year 1989. Now it has a network of 79 ICDs (Inland Container Depot)/CFSs (Container Freight Station)
· Indian Railways first ICD is at Bangalore in the year 1981.
· Operates three core businesses 1) Cargo carrier 2) Terminal Operator 3) Warehouse Operator
· Plans for setting up of 15 MMLPs – Multi Modal Logistic Parks during 12th Five year plan for providing seamless connectivity and one stop solution for customers.
· Cargo handled during the year 2016-17 is 3.11 Million TEUs- TEU means Twenty foot Equivalent Unit.
· Net Profit is Rs.858 Crores during the year 2016-17. It is listed in the NSE & BSE. 55% shares owned by promoter group i.e., Indian Railways. Rest of the 45 % shares owned by the Public
· Pioneer/Developer of containerization in the world- Malcolm McLean He was an American transport entrepreneur who developed the modern shipping container which revolutionized transport and international trade in the second half of the twentieth century.
· Containerization led to a significant reduction in the cost of freight transportation by eliminating the process of transportation by lorry to the port, unloaded into a warehouse and then reloaded into the ship 'piece by piece' and also improved reliability, reduced cargo theft, and cut inventory costs by shortening transit time.
· CONCOR - Monopoly in the Container business in India, though 15 private players entered in this segment to