Public Works Dept
Secretary, Railway Branch
Chairman & CEO, Railway Board
Dy.Secretary – Accounts
Member (Finance) - MF
Dy. Secretary – Traffic
Member (O&BD - Operations & Business Development) - M/O&BD
Dy. Secretary – Construction
Surrendered now. (Previously it was Member - Engineering)
Govt Examiner of Accounts
PFA – Principal Financial Advisor
· Initially (i.e., Before 1905) regulation and control of Government Railways was exercised by the Railway Branch of the Public Works Department (PWD) of Government of India.
· Till 1905 (the year Railway Board was established), the Railway Branch was headed by The Secretary and 3 Deputy Secretaries (Traffic, Accounts & Construction) – like The Chairman, FC & Members as in current Railway Board set up.
· The entire Railway system was divided into seven circles (like present Zonal Railways )
· One Consulting Engineer and one Government Examiner of Accounts were posted to each of these seven circles. (like General Manager and PFA-Principal Financial Adviser)
· The accounting and auditing functions of the Railway Branch were combined and looked after by The Accountant General, Public Works Department.