Chairperson, Railway Board & CEO
- New Chairperson, Railway Board & Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Ministry of Railways - Smt. Jaya Varma Sinha w.e.f. 01.09.2023
- Succeeds Shri Anil Kumar Lahoti, who is retiring on 31.08.2023
- Approved by the ACC - Appointments Committee of the Cabinet
- The first woman to hold the Apex post (Pay Level 17 in 7th CPC) in the history of the Railway Board since 1905 (118 years of history)
- She will hold the post till 31.08.2024 (though retires on 30.09.2023, but will be re-employed on the same day for the remainder of her tenure.
- Prior to this, She worked as Member/O&BD - Operations & Business Development - Responsible for the overall transportation of Freight & Passenger services on Indian Railways.
- Belongs to IRMS - Indian Railways Management Service
- Joined the IRTS - Indian Railways Traffic Service in the year 1988
- During her career of 35 years - Worked in diverse verticals spanning operations, commercial, IT, and vigilance. First woman - appointed as PCOM - Principal Chief Operations Manager - SER. Worked as Railway Advisor at the High Commission of India in Dhaka.
- Alumnus of Allahabad University
- Keen interest in Photography
Powers & Functions of CRB & CEO
- Ex-officio Principal Secretary to the Government of India in the Ministry of Railways
- Responsible to the Minister of Railways or as delegated by him - for arriving at decisions on technical and non-technical questions and advising the Govt of India on matters of Railway Policy.
Direct Incharge - Areas :
1. HR - Human Resources
6. Public Relations
9. Secretary’s Branch
1. HR - DG/HR
2. Safety - DG/Safety
3. Health - DG/RHS
4. Security - DG/RPF
- However, CRB & CEO at his discretion, may deal with any matter pertaining to any discipline or any other Subject.
- Any policy matter put up to the Minister of Railways through CRB & CEO only
- CRB & CEO has the power to Over-rule the other Members of the Railway Board.