1. On Initial Recruitment through RRB / RRC:
- Based on the merit position obtained in the examination held at the end of the training period.
- Those who pass the training exam in subsequent batches will rank juniors to those who pass the training exam in earlier batches.
- If candidates of the same RRB panel are sent for training in different batches as per panel position, their seniority after completion of training is fixed batch-wise.
- If a candidate higher up in the RRB panel is not sent for training in the appropriate batch due to administrative reasons and sent for training in subsequent batch, he will be assigned seniority based on the merit position obtained in the examination held at the end of the training period.
- If there is no initial training, the seniority is fixed based on the merit order of RRB/RRC examination. (Example: Office Clerks)
In a Nutshell:
- If initial training is there - Merit position at the end of the training period is the basis for fixation of seniority.
- No initial training is required - Merit order of RRB / RRC Examination is the basis for fixation of seniority.
2. On promotion to Selection posts:
- What is the Selection Post ? The vacancy in the post is filled by promoting a suitable employee from the lower grade by conducting written test, viva-voce (if any) & verification of records. example: LDCE / 70 % Selection to the Group B Gazetted posts
- What is the Non Selection Post ? The vacancy in the post is filled by promoting the senior most employee in the lower grade only by verifying his service record only.
Difference between Selection Panel & Select List
- Selection Panel: The list showing the names of selected employees for promotion to the selection post.
- Select List: The list showing the names of selected employees for promotion to the non-selection post.
- In the case of selection posts, seniority of promoted employees is fixed based on merit position assigned to them in the panel after the selection. This is called panel position.
- Employees of the previous selection panel will be seniors to those of subsequent panels.
- Employees who do not take promotion within the given time will rank juniors to those who take promotion earlier from the same panel and subsequent panels.
3. On promotion to Non-selection posts:
- In the case of non-selection posts, seniority of promoted employees is fixed based on the seniority position assigned to them in the lower grade.
- Employees who do not take promotion within the given time will rank juniors to those who take promotion earlier from the same select list and subsequent select lists.
4. Direct recruits Vs Departmental Promotees:
- If vacancies in non-gazetted posts are to be filled both by promotions and by direct recruitment through RRB, their seniority is fixed based on date of joining the working post without changing their inter-se-seniority position of their respective groups.
- In case candidates of both the groups join on the same date, they will be given alternative positions starting with promoters e.g. first promotees, second direct recruit, third promotee, forth direct recruit so on.
5. Candidates of equal merits / Marks:
- Date of Birth i.e., the older will be senior to the younger.
6. On Mutual Exchange Transfer:
- Length of service of his own or the seniority of the employee with whom they have mutual exchange, whichever is lower.
- Example: Mr A of SC division has taken mutual exchange transfer with Mr B of BZA division. Mr A has put in 10 years service in the present grade and Mr B is 7 years. On joining the new place, Mr A will be given the seniority position of Mr B and Mr.B will be given seniority based on his 7 years service.
7. Transfer on own request:
- Ranking junior to the existing confirmed and officiating employees in the relevant grade at new place (irrespective of his length of service in old place:
8. Transfer on Administrative Ground:
- He will not lose his seniority. He will be given an appropriate position in the new seniority unit based on the length of service put in by him in the transferred grade.
9. On absorption in alternative post on Medical decategorization:
- Seniority of such staff in an absorbed post will be fixed with reference to the length of service rendered by him in equivalent or corresponding grade or higher grade.
10. On imposition of penalty of withholding of annual increment or on imposition of penalty of reduction of pay in the present grade:
- Employee will not lose his seniority.
11. On imposition of penalty of reduction to lower grade for un-specified period or permanently:
Employee will lose his seniority in the grade from which he is reduced.
12. On imposition of penalty of reduction to lower grade for a specific period with loss of seniority:
- Employee will lose his seniority in the grade from which he is reduced to the extent of the penalty period.