Many Radical reforms are going to be announced in Indian Railways
· The Indian Railways is on a fast-transformational path of all-round progress.
· Many practices and management tools are being reviewed in view of changes in technology and working conditions
· Covid-19 crisis also is one of the reasons to ponder the reforms.
Already taken in recent times
1. Freeze on the creation of new posts
2. Freezing of all infrastructure projects except for safety related
3. Removal of retired and re-engaged staff
4. Shifting outsourced activities to CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) Funds
5. Conducting ceremonial functions like Retirement functions on digital platforms like virtual video conferences
6. Immediate review and possible closure of uneconomic branch lines
7. Abolition of TADK / Bungalow Peons, a colonial era practice
8. Merger of all Group A services in Indian Railways and formed single one i.e., IRMS - Indian Railways Management Service. (under process)
9. Trimming the Railway Board from present 8 Members into 4 Members (under process)